Thursday, October 14, 2010

Emetophobia and Television

I like tv. Who doesn't? But having emetophobia makes TV complicated. Especially when pretty much all I watch are medical shows. I watch House, Grey's Anatomny, Private Practice and I used to watch ER and Scrubs before they ended. All of these shows have a decent amount of puke. But I manage pretty well most of the time. I know it's staged, which helps. And I'm pretty good at guessing when it's gonna happen. Plus, they're in hospitals, so it's not like it's out of place. I did have a problem that time McDreamy threw up in the OR. I was not expecting it even a little- and he's a doctor! He shouldn't be getting sick! (especially not in a sterile environment...) But for the most part, I survive all of these shows. And I think it's good for me.

Reality TV, on the other hand, is a whole different ballgame. It's not staged, (ok, well the puking isn't fake at least...) Jon and Kate/Just Kate is one of the worst. They actually film those poor kids being so sick! (Yeah, I turned that episode off...) but still, those are small children, small children get sick a lot. (One reason I never want to teach elementary school.) But Project Runway? It's a show about fashion design! Why did they have to show poor Carol Hannah being so sick? Why is it that they can't show any kind of poop on TV, but they can show all the vomit they want? Honestly, I think that poop is way less gross.

Should there be any limits on the vomit showed on Tv? I think there should be. But then again I also hate any movie that had "comedic" upchucking. I don't think it's funny. or ever necessary. I mean, if "nobody likes vomit", why is it all over TV?

3 comments:

S.I.F. said...

Oh friend! I've never even noticed when people are puking on TV, but now that you mention it... I'm probably going to be thinking of you every time I see it!

Michelle said...

Sometimes, it feels like EVERY show I watch has someone throwing up on it. Even in cartoons.

Just a Nut in a Shell said...

I agree. It seems like its on every channel. It is so hard to avoid these days. I just don't see the need for it. Why do people get so aroused by the sight of people getting sick. It disgusts me.

Google Ads