Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

Today begins Lent. Traditionally, a time to give things up. But, right now, I can't think of anything to give up. I'm underweight, so nothing in the food sector. And I guess there's always Facebook, but that's the main form of communication with some of my friends. MLIA is a nice time suck, but what would giving it up really accomplish? TV shows are an option, but they're only on once a week, so it doesn't seem like that much. Reading for pleasure would be a huge sacrifice, but then what would I do in my free time? Watch more TV?

I once had a pastor who preached that instead of giving something up, you can begin something. And that really struck me. What can I start doing this Lenten season? I can try to devote myself more to God. When I'm at school, there isn't a church around that I like, so I usually don't go. And I get busy, and it can be very easy to not think about God often enough. Starting today, I will be reading Girlfriends in God, a free daily devotional on the internet. (Or for maximum convenience, delivered straight to my inbox.)

So the link is here, for anyone who would like to join me in this.

No comments:

Google Ads